Monday, February 16, 2009

Real Wedding - Joanna & Wyl - Two

The wedding took place in the most beautiful Greek Orthodox church. The bride and groom were kind enough to share some Greek tradition with their guests and us.
"I kept many traditions that most Non-Greeks don't see in weddings. Obviously, the ceremony was different than most people's. A Greek Orthodox ceremony has no vows. What it does have is three parts - the Betrothal (ring exchange), the Crowning (the part where we actually become husband and wife) and the Dance of Isaiah (the celebration of the new marriage). We made sure our programs had detailed explanations of each part of the ceremony, since most of our guests were not Greek. Another tradition I kept was to carry a mati on me - that blue eye on the chain you see in the first few shots of the slideshow. It's to protect me from evil spirits, and also served as my something blue. I also carried a necklace my husband had given me and a gold coin to honor his Roma heritage (gypsies exchange gold coins as part of their betrothal ceremony). We also kept the tradition of the Greek money dance - instead of everyone taking a turn dancing with the bride and groom, the wedding party performs a circle dance and guests throw money on the dance floor. A couple of American traditions that we didn't keep were the bouquet and garter toss (I didn't even wear a garter) and the smashing of the cake."

More gorgeous photos coming later.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails